Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

On 9/8/14 11:54 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 9/8/14 9:47 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:
>> If the HTML Chairs believe that this document would satisfy the
>> conditions they can propose to the Director to use the WHATWG document
>> and explain why it fulfills the normative references policy.
>
> Current status:
>
> An unversioned snapshot is available here:
>
>   http://url.spec.whatwg.org/
>
> A versioned snapshot is available here:
>
>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/default/Overview.html

The HTMLWG agreed to use the WHATWG URL spec as a normative reference in
the HTML5 CR. As far as I know (and please correct me if I am wrong),
that reference resulted in no issues or bugs from implementers and that
reference resulted in no issues or bugs during the CR's interop testing.
The Draft HTML5 Proposed Recommendation used during the HTMLG's CfC to
publish a PR of HTML5 also uses the WHATWG URL spec as a normative
reference and no related issues were raised during the CfC.

As such, it seems inconsistent with respect to the NRP (as well as
adding a bunch of "make work") to now assert the WHATWG's URL spec
cannot be used as a normative reference in the HTML5 PR and REC. Again,
I think it would be helpful if you would please identify those parts of
the NRP that disqualify this version of the URL spec from being used in
the PR and REC.

-Thanks, AB