Re: w3process-ACTION-36: Propose new text describing the team that mentions the director, fellows, the ceo, the team, and the fact that responsibilities they have under the process may be delegated

22.10.2014, 18:05, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org>:
> On 10/22/2014 11:54 AM, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>>  21.10.2014, 19:45, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org>:
>>>  A few comments:

>>>  This is good as far as it goes (although I agree with Mike's comment
>>>  about the delegation sentence).
>>  Me too.
>>>  Other comments:
>>>
>>>  1. The current text has a useful paragraph describing the
>>>  process-related responsibilities of the Director.  I'm not sure why they
>>>  were omitted.
>>  As I said in the meeting, anything the director does should be described in the Process document at the relevant place.
>
> Fair enough.  So let's make any updates now that we think need to be made.

I'm happy to make proposals. As I have said in the past, my preferred mode of editing is to have resolutions to base my work on, as a way of minimising the changes to things that people have agreed make sense.

>>  I assume you mean
>>
>>  [[[
>>  The Director is the lead technical architect at W3C and as such, is responsible for assessing consensus within W3C for architectural choices, publication of technical reports, and new activities. The Director appoints group Chairs and has the role of "tie-breaker" for questions of Good Standing in a Working Group or appeal of a Working Group decision. The Director is generally Chair of the TAG.
>>  ]]]
>>
>>  The responsibilities with regards to technical specifications are detailed in chapter 7.
>>
>>  Activities are removed, but the director's role in chartering groups is in chapter 6. Admittedly it doesn't explicitly say anywhere how a decision to start a group is made, there is a review and then the director MAY issue a call for participation - and the charter MAY be changed from the one that was reviewed. But that's a 10-year-old text.
>
> It's been socialized to me that it is the Director's charter, but I
> agree Chapter 6 does not say that.  Should it?
>
> Does it say in Chapter 6 that the Director appoints the Chair?  If not
> we should add it.
>
> I infer from the label "10-year-old text" that we should fix it. Let's
> do so.

Both the concrete points are implied, rather than stated directly, and I think it would be helpful to fix that. I'll raise a separate action/issue.

>>  Appointing chairs is part of chartering (and one of the things it seems can be changed…).
>>
>>  There is no good standing for the director to "tie-break". Appeals of a working group decision are an open issue, but the relevant section (3.5) already outlines the director's role.
>>
>>  The director is generally NOT the chair of the TAG, and apparently doesn't want to be.
>
> He is:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/

Hmm. That document appears to project a vision of the world somewhat at odds with people's lived experience, at least in respect to this question.

In any event, the statement of what the TAG is, in chapter 2, also makes the claim that he generally does chair the TAG.

Either way, it doesn't need to be repeated in the statement that the Team includes the director.