Re: w3process-ISSUE-124 (WHATWG-blacklist): Normative Reference policy should explicitly black list WHATWG specs [Normative Reference Policy]

On 07/10/2014 07:45, Ian Hickson wrote:

> No spec says exactly what is implemented.
>
> There are no browsers that implement HTML4 as written.
>
> There are no browsers that implement _any_ standard exactly as written.

1. the spec does not have to say what is implemented and how, the
    browser vendor has to. See Domenic's response to my message.

2. I never said MUAs implement exactly what's in the spec, that's out of
    scope, you read my words too fast. I said companies need to know what
    is the stable spec basis for implementation in the browser they're
    testing. This is different.

> Having a snapshot specification does not serve the purpose that you
> describe as needed in this argument.

And how do you know? Your large experience of 100,000+ employees'
utilities or brick-and-mortar companies? AFAICT, you have never worked
for such a company, right? I was the one who wrote the Web tech
directives for a brick-and-mortar distributed 140,000 employees
company, and I worked seven years on a daily basis with their browser
evaluation team. I think I am a bit more qualified than you on this
topic...

You can say that you disagree, that is fine; but your firm response
« no, that does not do the job » is absolutely not authoritative.

> It's a snapshot with legal rammifications; multinationals have made
> specific legal commitments to the text of that document. Changing it in
> any way is simply not on the table.

This would be hilarious if it was not so tragic.

>> It is just insulting hundreds of thousands of people.
>
> It is insulting nobody.

Oh trust me, it is. That's fine if you don't want to see it, but your
perception of facts will not alter others' perception of facts.

</Daniel>