Re: WHATWG/W3C collaboration proposal

On 2014-11-25 06:51, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> 20.11.2014, 22:44, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>:
>> It is not clear to me that the proposal contained on the following page
>> requires any W3C Process changes, but I figured you guys would be the
>> ones to ask:
>>
>> http://intertwingly.net/blog/2014/11/20/WHATWG-W3C-Collaboration
> No, if you can get people to agree to that there seems nothing in the Process that would prohibit it. And it seems a reasonable way to work if that's what you want to do.
>
> Reflecting a point you made later in the thread, you are effectively relying on the members of webapps (in the specific case) donating their IP, while you allow contributions from WHATWG that can come from anywhere. As I understand their approach there is only a license for contribution to the extent the work is done within the W3C Community Group, and spec-wide commitments are voluntary - i.e. if jo whatwger introduces something in a spec, over which jay citizen has IP, we are only getting coverage if jay is a W3C webapps member, or actively notices and decides to contribute the IP. For the case of URL, this is probably a reasonable approach.

Doesn't "there is only a license for contribution to the extent the work
is done within the W3C Community Group" mean only if the contributor is
a member of the whatwg cg (about 60 people now). But, none of that is
anything new with this proposal.  That's the way it is if W3C forks it
and creates its own version.

It seems the main difference with this is that W3C would publish what
the WHATWG gives them (as a W3C TR) with no changes by W3C other than
any needed in the mechanics of publishing.  W3C would just choose
whether or not to publish their version.  Alternately, W3C could choose
whether or not to directly reference a WHATWG snapshot without
re-branding it a W3C spec. (the difference being patent commitments from
W3C WG participants for a WHATWG spec)