Re: Issue-140: The description of the Team in Section 2.2

On 11/12/2014 7:40 AM, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> [...]
>>> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Recruitment/Fellows> [PUB32
>>> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#ref-fellows>]).
>>> The Director MAY delegate responsibility (generally to other
>>> individuals in the Team) for any of his roles described in this
>>> document.
>>>
>>> Team administrative information such as Team salaries, detailed
>>> budgeting, and other business decisions are Team-only
>>> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#Team-only>,
>>> subject to oversight by the Host institutions.
>>>
>>> W3C is not incorporated. For legal contracts, W3C is represented by
>>> its "Host" institutions
>>> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/facts.html#org>, according to a set of
>>> joint sponsorship contracts.
>>> ]]]
>>> Notes:
>>> The Team, and The Director, are the people in the Process with
>>> formal responsibility for doing things, so it seems that clarifying
>>> that the Director can delegate those responsibilities is sufficient
>>> to make the process match reality.
>>> The CEO does not have a formal role in the Process - indeed, is not
>>> even mentioned, although various roles assigned to the W3C Chair are
>>> obvious things the CEO has been doing.
>>> In particular, "The Director, W3C Chair, and COO have the role of
>>> assessing consensus within the Advisory Committee". - Section 3.3,
>>> para 1
>>> This is the only formal responsibility of the W3C chair, although
>>> there is also a statement that that the W3C chair is "generally"
>>> chair of the AB (historically that is nonsense) and along with the
>>> COO generally chairs the AC meeting.
>>> There is also a statement in the current section 2.2 that "The W3C
>>> Chair leads Member relations, and liaisons
>>> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#Liaisons>
>>> with other organizations, governments, and the public". Which is
>>> what CEO's generally do, but doesn't actually specify particular tasks.
>>> I think (as per issue 145) we should try and remove the general
>>> statements about the W3C chair and COO where possible, since they
>>> are effectively management details of the Team, and the Team governs
>>> itself.
>>
>> I don't think the Issue is addressed until we appropriately update
>> the Chair references throughout the document.
> I'm not sure which issue you are talking about. If you mean 145, I
> agree, but if you mean 140 (the subject of this thread), I don't
> agree, as follows.
>> In fact, that was the original reason that the Issue was raised.
> Speaking as the person who raised the issues, issue 140 (this one) was
> raised because the current verbiage about the Team is excessive and
> doesn't make the document more useful, and issue 145 was raised
> because defining a role we don't have, and one that doesn't play a
> formal part in the process, seems to be silly. I believe the two
> issues are separable - but they should both be addressed.

Actually, I was the person who raised 140.  I agree that the verbiage in
140 seems to restrict to Section 2.2, but that was not my intent.  I am
pleased that you raised 145 to further clarify my intent in 140.  It was
raised not to do a total rewrite of the Section (which is how the Editor
has interpreted it), but merely to correct the terminology.

I don't object to the rewrite, but I don't agree to dropping useful bits.