Re: Issue-140: The description of the Team in Section 2.2

On 11/12/2014 5:56 AM, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
> OK, so here is a proposal to resolve the issue. We should replace the
> text between the section 2.2 heading, and the section 2.2.1 heading
> (Team submissions) with the following:
> [[[
> The Team consists of the Director, CEO, W3C paid staff, interns, and
> W3C Fellows (see the W3C Fellows Program
> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Recruitment/Fellows> [PUB32
> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#ref-fellows>]).
> The Director MAY delegate responsibility (generally to other
> individuals in the Team) for any of his roles described in this document.
>
> Team administrative information such as Team salaries, detailed
> budgeting, and other business decisions are Team-only
> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#Team-only>,
> subject to oversight by the Host institutions.
>
> W3C is not incorporated. For legal contracts, W3C is represented by
> its "Host" institutions <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/facts.html#org>,
> according to a set of joint sponsorship contracts.
> ]]]
> Notes:
> The Team, and The Director, are the people in the Process with formal
> responsibility for doing things, so it seems that clarifying that the
> Director can delegate those responsibilities is sufficient to make the
> process match reality.
> The CEO does not have a formal role in the Process - indeed, is not
> even mentioned, although various roles assigned to the W3C Chair are
> obvious things the CEO has been doing.
> In particular, "The Director, W3C Chair, and COO have the role of
> assessing consensus within the Advisory Committee". - Section 3.3, para 1
> This is the only formal responsibility of the W3C chair, although
> there is also a statement that that the W3C chair is "generally" chair
> of the AB (historically that is nonsense) and along with the COO
> generally chairs the AC meeting.
> There is also a statement in the current section 2.2 that "The W3C
> Chair leads Member relations, and liaisons
> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/cover.html#Liaisons> with
> other organizations, governments, and the public". Which is what CEO's
> generally do, but doesn't actually specify particular tasks.
> I think (as per issue 145) we should try and remove the general
> statements about the W3C chair and COO where possible, since they are
> effectively management details of the Team, and the Team governs itself.

I don't think the Issue is addressed until we appropriately update the
Chair references throughout the document.

In fact, that was the original reason that the Issue was raised.

I don't agree that the general statements are only details of the Team
and I don't agree that they should be removed from the document.