Re: Proposed Process Change Regarding TAG Participation Rules

On Nov 4, 2014, at 10:39 , chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:

>>>  Let’s chat about Tag membership.  I think we might have three kinds of members:
>>>
>>>  a) elected (the eTag)
>>>  b) appointed by the director (the aTag)
>>>  c) invited by the elected (+appointed?) delegates (the iTag)
>>>
>>>  If the elected members feel that they can handle an invited member from the same company as one of them, I think that’s fine.
>
> There are people who have a concern that electing lots of people who live in the same kind of environments and face the same kinds of issues and don't face or really understand issues that are relevant only in other parts of the world. Dan and others have clearly stated they are not people who have such a concern.
>
> Being one of those people, I have a further concern that if the TAG becomes a group of like-mined individuals reinforced by people selected by those individuals, the problem is made worse.
>
> The current setup allows anyone not elected to participate on an apparently equal footing. Letting the elected members give additional force to paticipants seems to me a very *bad* mechanism for building global trust.

The current setup doesn’t even mention invited members, does it, so they are hardly on an equal footing. The TAG voting is clear also:

"When the TAG votes to resolve an issue, each TAG participant (whether appointed, elected, or the Chair) has one vote; see also the section on voting in the TAG charter[PUB25] and the general section on votes in this Process Document.”

I am suggesting that if, in fact, we have a practice of having invited members on the TAG< we should make their status clear, both for their benefit (“I am a bona-fide invited member”) and for ours (“but invited members do not vote”, and so on).

I share your concerns that the TAG could become a self-serving bunch, but then we (are supposed to) do what we’re doing today and re-elect more of the same bums, I mean, try to throw the bums out!

I would actually like the TAG to be stronger and more involved; I actually rather like striving towards some sense of architectural cohesion.

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.