Re: Workshop and meeting requirements

From: David Singer <singer@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 11:55:53 +0200
Cc: Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>, "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
To: "Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH)" <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>

On May 15, 2014, at 21:55 , Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com> wrote:

> > proper teleconferencing hardware.  VIDEO conferencing, with screensharing
>
> All this sounds good, but I wonder about affordability: What kind of capital investment, bandwidth requirement,  and on-side manpower requirements are we talking about to do a TPAC-size meeting with proper A/V?

My experience is that video is expensive to do well and adds marginal value for remote participants.  A video of someone on a stage talking to his slides is simply not compelling.  If one could get immersive 3D surround video of the entire meeting, maybe it would be better, you’d have the sense of the audience and so on.  But…

I think there is a lot more lower-hanging fruit than video.

Dave Singer

singer@mac.com