Re: "elections" without voting

On May 6, 2014 at 2:01:57 PM, Larry Masinter (masinter@adobe.com) wrote:
> > I fundamentally disagree with Brian Kardell; I don't think
> that voting and electioneering are healthy and positive ways
> of filling positions for AB and TAG.
> W3C should consider adopting something like this for TAG and
> AB selection, e.g., select NomCom voting members through random
> selection of volunteers from AC members or their designees and
> active working group participants. The AC can then act as 'confirming
> body'.
>
> You might wind up with more candidates qualified to manage the
> responsibilities of TAG and AB, and reduce the politicking.
>
> Where you might actually want politics and so forth is in choosing
> organizational priorities for resources, but neither TAG nor
> AB manage W3C's resource allocation.

They should both just be Community Groups, IMO. If someone has something meaningful to contribute, and has the money to attend meetings, etc. all the power to them. The whole voting, plus the "you can only be here for a year" nonsense is pretty silly. I don't think having committees and criteria etc. would be worth while. People who participate in things like the AB or TAG for the "honour" or because they are "chosen" are there for the wrong reasons.