Re: Voting again…

On 5/4/2014 3:38 PM, Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> Hmmm...  The turnout in these elections is something like 20%. Most AC reps have  barely enough information about the candidates to make binary decisions about them, much less rank them. If one wants to ensure that their preferred candidate is elected, it would be much more effective to help inform the AC about his/her qualities  and turn out the vote of like-minded people than to cast a single "strategic" vote that is statistically quite unlikely to change the outcome.
>
> I don't object to using a ranked voting system even if I  don't care enough to invest any energy in making it happen.  I do care that decisions in W3C are made by an informed consensus, which is why I keep asking for solid information and analysis of why using a more complex system would actually benefit W3C.
>
> Could you remind us (with links) about the various AB and AC discussions of this topic over the last couple of years?

Here is the most recent discussion of these issues.

After considerable discussion in AC forum last spring, in September of
2013, the AB decided to poll the Membership as to whether to revise W3C
voting procedures ([1] item #9).

Reference [2] summarizes the results.  Of 30 people that voted roughly
1/3 strongly agreed that it would be desirable to change the voting
system, but 2/3 did not have a strong opinion (question 1). As to
whether this was a priority for the AB, 1/5th strongly agreed, 2/5th did
not have a strong opinion, and 2/5th strongly disagreed (question 2).

Since the AB viewed the results as inconclusive, but wanted to embrace
change, the AB chose not to make this a priority, but instead to
encourage the Membership to form a CG to develop a consensus proposal.
After an email discussion the AB informed the Membership [3].  The AB
continues to be open to this.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2013OctDec/0004.html
[2] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/voting2013/results
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2013OctDec/0046.html

Chaals, in raising this issue for the AB, has raised a parallel issue
for the proposed Webizens.  In my opinion, since the Webizens don't have
an existing voting mechanism, they should select a voting mechanism (if
indeed we proceed with setting this up).  That part is simple.  But I do
expect us to have a passionate debate about what voting mechanism they
should use to select a voting mechanism.