Re: New draft

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 05:59:34 -0800, Ralph Swick <swick@w3.org> wrote:

> Thanks Chaals.
>
> I did one more quick-ish top-to-bottom read.  From that I have the
> following small suggestions:

Thank you. I consider all the changes as purely editorial, and I have the
following proposals to address them. I will incorporate them in a draft,
and the TF can object to the changes if they want.

I expect to post the draft tonight, while posting the current draft to the
AB this morning (for consideration as their proposal to the AC) with a
note that these changes may be made.

> 7.1 W3C Technical Reports, second paragraph:
>
>   "If /+the Director determines that+/ W3C member review
>    /-agrees that-//+supports+/ a specification
>    /-should be-//+becoming+/ a Standard..."
>
> The important change here is the first one; not removing the final
> decision from the Director.  The other changes are just grammar to make
> the sentence less awkward.

Agreed.

> 7.1.2 Maturity Levels, CR, second Note:
>
>   "Candidate Recommendations /-will normally be accepted as-/
>   /+are expected to eventually become+/ Recommendations."
>
> Reduce the risk of misinterpretation of this sentence as "the outcome is
> predetermined."

The outcome ought to be close to predetermined. There are two sides to the
issue - the Working Group should have made their CR good enough to be a
Rec, and people better get their final review done if they haven't
already, or they really will lose their opportunity.

How about "are expected to be acceptable as"?

In particular I don't want the "eventually" (it reads too closely to
"maybe sometime in some form" in native english, and "accidentally" in
non-native english).

> 7.2.3.1 Wide Review, first sentence:
>
>    "... by the /-p-//+W3C P+/rocess."

Agreed.

> Explicit reference.  (Lowercase "process" includes an aggregation of
> existing and future best practices, etc. which may eventually lead to
> more precision.)
>

> 7.5 Proposed Recommendation, a Working Group, 3rd bullet:
>
>    "... other than by Advisory Committee representatives /+acting in
>    their formal AC representative role+/ ..."
>
> I understand the intent of this exception to be that an issue raised by
> an AC Rep as part of formal AC Review is meant to be a comment to the
> Director, which the Director may discuss further.  An AC Rep may also be
> a participant in a Working Group or may submit a comment to the Working
> Group as part of public review.  Such comments should not be treated
> differently just because the commenter has another formal role.

Agreed

> 7.6 W3C Recommendation, first sentence:
>
>   "/+The decision to advance a document to Recommendation is a
>
> [http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/acreview.html#def-w3c-decision
> W3C decision].+/  In addition to meeting ..."
>
> This formalism from the current Process section 7.4.5 binds to the
> formal definition of AC Review, appeal, etc.

Agreed

> 7.8 Publishing a Working Group or Interest Group Note, final sentence:
>
>   "Working Group Notes/-, only for W3C Recommendations-/."
>
> This additional statement is unnecessary here and it creates the risk of
> future conflict if the Patent Policy is revised to cover other things.

Indeed. Agreed.

cheers