Re: How to reach AC Newbies and why is there such a Large "Silent Majority"? [Was: Re: Don't disclose election results]

On Jun 6, 2014 12:24 AM, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

> On 6/4/2014 9:06 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

>>> Oh dear. That's really {s,b}ad. The closest thing I know about related
>>> to AC Newbies is <https://www.w3.org/wiki/AdvisoryCommittee/NewbieInfo>.
>>> If there is some additional info that should be added, please do update
>>> that doc or send me the details and I'll be happy to update it. That
>>> said, perhaps there are better ways/medium to reach Newbies (f.ex. a
>>> 5-10 minute video that address the issue you raise as well as other AC
>>> Newbie FAQs). (I just filed a related issue in the AC tracker
>>> <https://www.w3.org/Member/track/issues/7>).
>>

>> I'd add to the wiki but I couldn't get a sense for what wasn't working
for them — I sent some instructions in the hope that something would happen.

>> Voting is basically clicking on a link in an email that comes to you,
then ticking someone's name and hitting Submit.

>> I guess there could be several reasons (possibly mixed):
>>
>>   • Email never got read, is lost somewhere in Inbox/Trash.
>>   • Rep does not know about http://w3.org/Member/, etc.
>>   • Lost password
>>   • Confused by WBS UI (I think it's pretty readable, but it's old
school so might confuse some?)
>>   • Laziness (could figure out how to do but would rather be told)
>

> I would add a few others:
>
> * AC rep does not know any of the candidates well.
> * AC rep is from a small company that participates in W3C for one focused
reason and does not care much about the broader topics usually discussed at
the AB.

I'd like to add, as I've mentioned, another possible reason is the ACs
position in the company does not make them in a position to care about some
things and to them most of this is noise.  My company is international, by
no measure small - because of what we do our AC would likely be a gate
keeper of non technical nature who mostly cares about ip agreements or
something.  The reason i keep reiterating this is because i don't think it
is uncommon and it may be effective to allow ACs to delegate some roles.