Re: Disclosure and information proposal

On 6/4/2014 7:13 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:
> Ok, spawning a new thread.  I am a pragmatist.  I think the best deal
> is the one you can actually reach and I see no reason to belabor an
> argument which, at best, has to be put to ACs anyway.
>
> It seems that we've set something of a precedent in getting very basic
> figures cited.  I'd like to propose (if I may) that AB resolve to ask
> whether data (or maybe Jeff can just decide and it is so) can be
> provided with each election going forward.

Given that on some of these threads there have been concerns (Ann and
others) about releasing more data, I would like an AB consensus before
releasing more data.  It is on the agenda for the AB F2F next week.

>  It is enlightening to some and spawned some interesting new
> conversations and efforts to find ways to increase involvement - all
> good things IMO.  I would also charge that basic information like this
> for the last 5 years is helpful information.  I know some people were
> kind of taken aback by Jeff's seeming "I'm pleased" about that - but I
> think that such information puts it into context.  My own read of this
> is that participation before Jeff came was something ~ 1/3 to 1/2 of
> that at best.  While it still seems dismal, this is indeed something
> to celebrate IMO - we're going in the right direction.
>
> It seems that at least without significant more efforts we're not
> going to get anything like the details that we see in examples cited
> (even in countries where cultures are very different, I think).  I
> think that the unfortunate bit about this has little to do with trust
> concerns and more about the fact that that information is a valuable
> cog in any democratic process that allows a number of things that have
> been discussed in various other threads.  So, let's assume we can't
> get that for now - is there any other way to get 'mostly there' or
> 'enough there' in terms of the valuable data.
>
> For a candidate, it seems like they should have access to the AB list
> for the duration of the campaign.  It seems several people agreed to
> that.  Does anyone specifically oppose that idea?  Can we AB support
> or rejection of that?
>
> It also seems that their own numbers should be available them
> privately upon request, several people voiced support for that.  Can
> we AB support or rejection of that?
>
> Note: I think that personally it would be nice if basic data
> (including this) could be available to them throughout the election as
> well... It might make things more competitive and stimulate
> participation.
>
> Can we send out a questionare and maybe even actively ask people a few
> questions about their participation?

Several months ago, the AB decided that we would encourage a CG to get a
consensus about a new voting procedure.   I think it would be wonderful
if the CG does it based on survey information - so we understand what
the Membership wants.  In this and other threads STV has been proposed
as the antidote to strategic voting.  For all I know, the Membership
likes strategic voting.  So yes, let's get some information.