Re: Don't disclose election results

Dear all:

I have been quietly and deeply following
yourconversation/discussion about the possibility to introduce
democratic procedural methods for the W3C.

As a public participant of
this group, and not being affiliated --yet -- with any corp that can
represent a candidate, I agree completely with the observations of
Charles expressed in the last email.-

There is the need to be cautios
publishing data, even if we advocate for an open web.

There is also
the need for transparency and the use of democratic methods like
elections are. Even if we all belong to different cultures or scenarios.
And considering the W3C as a consortium. I do not see this as problem,
but as an advantage.

Consortiums may advocate and put in practice for
themselves democratic behaviours and protocols internally. This is good.
It brings whealth and health to the consortium and, besides, tangential
value for the companies who take part of this consortium.

Being a
public member, with no other interest than to spread and advocate the
goods of web standards and apply them in fields of work within companies
or in companies, I would be pleased to see that the consortium has
similar democratic rules as a held has with its stakeholders or
leveraged shareholders. A reduced but positive election system.

vote means to participate, and to participate means offering solutions
and work.

My interests and appreciation for the work done by the W3C,
where I have been kindly invited and where I am taking part since the
year 1999, is mainly because I consider it focused on a public common,
this is the web standards, and the web.

As it is said before, to
preserve the quality and excellence of the work done by Chairsand
Commitee of the W3C, the observations of Charles expressed in the last
email:

- be cautious.

- be transparent.

- promote and advocate for
all the necessary members.

- organize internal charts

- have an
architecture of "presentation" which may allow the internal infomation
retrieved, to be this clear and comprehensible.

cheers

On 2014-06-04
23:54, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:24:45
+0200, Jean-Charles (JC) VerdiƩ
> <jicheu@yahoo.fr> wrote:

(omnibus reply) * I acknowledge there are cultural differences which
make it tricky to publish results given it was not stated before the
election began. But this is an assumption. That'd be great if someone
neutral (within the team?) contacted each candidate in person to get
their actual feeling about it.

> I'm not sure I qualify as neutral.
But I have talked to a lot of
> candidates and potential candidates
over the years, and I thnk it is
> pretty clear that right now
publishing the number of votes named
> candidates receive would have a
chilling effect on how willing some good
> candidates are to stand.
>

>> * I'm not sure these cultural differences still make sense when it
comes to anonymised results. If we read that candidate "A" got 3 ballots
and candidate "B" got 98, that's probably fine with respect to the
future life of candidate "JC" or "Virginie", given that it's not so easy
(out of 12 people) to identify who is A and who is B.

> Right. For
the moment, I would not support releasing more identifying

information than that.
> * I don't mix transparency with trust. I trust
the W3C not to tamper with the results (but I trusted a lot of companies
not to tamper with my data until some revelations happened last year
so...). but trusting the W3C does not mean I do not want to understand
what's going on. The results of the la

>> led results would probably
bring a lot of additional valuable data.

>> Agreed.

cheers

Yandex chaals@yandex-team.ru Find more at http://yandex.com

--