Re: Disclosing election results -- a voice of caution

From: Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 10:52:59 -0400
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
CC: David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>, public-w3process@w3.org, "Bassetti, Ann" <ann.bassetti@boeing.com>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, "Michael Champion (MS OPEN TECH)" <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>

On 6/3/2014 10:47 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2014 10:25 AM, "Jeff Jaffe" <jeff@w3.org
> <mailto:jeff@w3.org>> wrote:
> >

> > On 6/3/2014 10:22 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:

> Personally, I am quite pleased that there was this level of interest.
> While not the 90+% that I would have preferred, the 25% is still
> larger than some democratic political elections in some locations.
> They voted for 355 candidates, an average of 3.6 votes per Member.

> candidates?

> >> This is a great start Jeff, informative.  Is it plausible to gather
> similar historical information for, say, the last 5 years so we can
> see trends?
> >

> > That sounds like a great deal of work and will not yield a lot of
> information.
> >
> > Last year's election would provide interesting data.
> >

> > Most recent previous elections were not contested at all or not
> greatly contested.
> >
> Not contested + turnout in that case would be fine.  My contention
> with public election stuff has been it should help increase turnout,
> and chaal's that strategic voting is increasing.  It would take at
> least a few years worth of tag and ab data (even basic) that either is
> true.

I don't think that the usage of strategic voting in an election which
has 5 candidates for 5 positions, or 6 candidates for 5 positions is
correlated to the usage of strategic voting in an election which has 12
candidates for 5 positions.