Re: Limiting Charter extensions

Hi Daniel,

26.12.2014, 13:43, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>:
> On 26/12/14 02:10, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>> šIf this is the formal position of the CSS chairs, I'd like to know.
>
> My position as a CSS WG co-chair is that we still have no solution
> to the issue we raised. And reading "you could do that better" seems
> to forget we tried, and failed. Now what?

Try something different. (As far as I can tell, this proposal isn't something you tried before)

Literally, ask your editors to guess at milestones, and propose that.

Don't spend *any* time trying to second-guess it, or refine it carefully. About the only modification I would make is if someone says "that should be x months later", you might as well take that on board (preferably without questioning it). It is far more likely to be accurate than "we're probably going to do that a lot faster".

Don't bother trying to decide priorities - as you have pointed out, that is a fool's errand for a group like yours.

>> šIf it's just an expression of the level of frustration you have,
>
> It is.

OK

> And I apologize because my word were too strong. But I think
> expressing that (deep) frustration is useful; our WG just does not
> want to waste time (members, chairs, staff) again during a future
> rechartering.

No apology needed, I understand the frustration. (I have to do rechartering too, and I have been involved in a lot of initial charters as well).

I agree that we should be looking to minimise the time spent on it to something reasonable, *consistent* with outcomes that the AC considers important.

(I also agree that there is value in taking some of the discussion back to the AC. There are points that IMHO they should have put directly in front of them).