Re: Invited expert and CG Contributor agreements

On 12/19/2014 09:02 AM, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

> On 12/19/2014 8:57 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> I encourage you to explore a different scenario, one in which an
>> individual authors work and publishes it independently.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "independently".  This scenario certainly
> would work in terms of granting W3C the rights to the content.  The
> "sponsor" approach seems to work partially like this. But I would not
> want to institutionalize an approach where the author throws it over the
> wall to W3C (using the grant you mention below) but does not participate
> in the subsequent dialog about the content.

Sorry, but I can't resist: False Dichotomy!

Nowhere did I say (or even mean to imply) that the author or authors
would be precluded from participating in the subsequent dialog about the
content.

As a bonus, I'll also toss in Loaded Question!

I'm not sure what you mean by "the" content.

Note the word "nonexclusive" in the following:

>> That person subsequently becomes interested in granting to the W3C a
>> perpetual, nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right to make use of
>> this work.

- Sam Ruby