Re: Invited expert and CG Contributor agreements

On 12/18/14 4:23 PM, Wayne Carr wrote:
> On 2014-12-18 05:19, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>> 18.12.2014, 16:15, "Olle Olsson" <olleo@sics.se>:
>>> On 2014-12-16 20:24, David Singer wrote:
>>> Is this a restriction on an Invited Expert only holding while he
>>> *is* an
>>> invited expert (which is role of a finite duration) or is it
>>> intended to
>>> be a perpetual constraint?
>> It is a perpetual constraint, per the section on duration and
>> termination:
>> [[[
>> Even in the event of termination of the Invited Expert relationship
>> sections 2.2, 2.3, 2.5 and 2.6 will persist.
>> ]]]
>
> I'm surprised about that restriction.  If that's been in the previous
> public draft versions, I missed it.
>
> Would W3C Members apply that rule to themselves?  I doubt it, and it
> isn't applied to W3C Members, what use is it to apply just to IEs?
>
> It wouldn't be surprising that some feature is useful broadly in
> multiple contexts.  Someone contributing that to W3C should not mean
> they can't also contribute their own work elsewhere for whatever
> purpose they choose.  That paragraph should be removed - soon.   I
> wouldn't consider agreeing to that as an IE either.

These are good questions/issues.

Since it seems like any restriction on derivative work upon an IE's
termination could result in reduced (perhaps eliminated) employment
opportunities, I wonder if this restriction has actually been a problem
in practice (i.e. is there some `real` data) and would the restriction
actually hold up in court.

-AB