Overall structure of the W3C

From: Nottingham, Mark <mnotting@akamai.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:02:21 -0500
To: Revising W3C Process Community Group <public-w3process@w3.org>
On <https://www.w3.org/wiki/AB/2014-2015_Priorities>, the first bullet in "Overall structure of the W3C" is:

> 1. Is the Consortium's current heavy weight structure that was created in 1994 still needed now?

and Chaals comments: "We don't use the process we had in 1995 or even in 2005. This question is rhetorically sound but irrelevant."

I have to disagree here; this is THE question that the AB should be addressing. If there's a problem with how the question is phrased, that's easy enough to fix:

1. Is the Consortium's current structure appropriate to the tasks at hand and the resources available? Specifically:
    a. Is the multiple-Host model helpful to the goals of the W3C, or a hinderance? Are there alternatives?
    b. Is the Team's size and makeup appropriate to our current workload, considering our limited resources?
    c. Is the Membership model effective in furthering the goals of the W3C? What other options are there?

As a Member, I'd especially like to understand what the multi-Host model brings to the table; we don't hear much about it, nor the activities of the "Steering Committee" (see <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Agreement/Appendix1-2013.html> section 3g), which "sets overall policy and provides strategic guidance and review of the Consortium's activities."

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com    https://www.mnot.net/