Re: W3C events classification

Hi Olle,

On 4/3/14 11:40 AM, ext Olle Olsson wrote:
> Interesting discussion, but it seems to touch on two/three issues:
> 1. what should be defined in the process document?
> 2. what kinds of open events should W3C be associated with in what way?
> and then also
> 3. how should W3C stakeholders be informed about events?

At least three ;-). I think the above were captured a day or two ago in
<https://www.w3.org/wiki/EventsProcess#Problem_Statement> and if not,
please do update the wiki.

> A tentative conclusion of the discussion is that it will be impossible
> to specify in detail in the process document what kinds of events are
> appropriate for W3C involvement, and what kinds are not.

I don't think there is a need for [let's say excruciating] detail.
Nevertheless this thread does underscore there is a need to fix the bugs
in Section 9 and to add some transparency on the process and evaluation
(criteria) and thus help reduce "surprises".

> Hence:
> 1. keep the relevant section of the process document as simple as
> possible, stating a few priorities and some objectives.

Agree.

> It should avoid specifying an ontology of meetings ( ;-) ) -- such a
> thing will quickly become irrelevant.

I think there is value in identify the continuum of current event types
and I agree the list should be open ended. This later requirement could
be easily addressed by document the events process/policy in some type
of `living document` (e.g. a wiki or a doc in GH that facilitates
collaborative authorship) instead of embedding it in a process document
the AB only updates every decade or so.

-AB