Re: W3C events classification

[ Bcc w3c-ac-forum ]

On 4/1/14 5:36 PM, ext GALINDO Virginie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Going through that tread, including Michael one related to Community Meetup, I think that there are several events that you identified :
> - workshop which objective is to call a large number of people to collectively progress on a specific problem. Those ones cannot happen several times a year on the same topic. So organizing it, with a long notice, allows to make sure you'll get all participants is key. For those ones, 8 weeks for a call for contribution are a minimum.
> - Events for education, evangelization of web technology (avoiding symposium name on purpose), for which the content is selected by W3C team, with potential support of members, sponsors... The public call for those ones can be scaled by the confidence W3C team has to gather appropriate audience and speakers. Community Meetup fall into that category, I guess. Meetup recently organized in Lyon and Tokyo fall also there. Depending on the nature of your event (local or international audience), you may need 2 weeks of 6 weeks.
> - event for testing the open web platform implementation, which objective is to produce feedbaks on specs and implementation. For those ones, you may need to make sure you have as much as possible attendees, coming from all around the world. Announcement 8 weeks in advance may be reasonable.
>
> The description of workshop and symposium in the process, without really making difference between them (except that some workshop may be trying to "solve a pressing problem of members") may be too light. Refining at least 3 categories of event, with i) their objective, ii) the call for contribution minimum notice may be a possible solution. It should be left aside the organization details (with or without program committee, with or without rules on speaker selection) as this may be a case by case decision. But some recommended good practice should be written (e.g. a workshop with an arbitrary program may have less traction then a collective program, the more you want people, the longer your public announcement should be...)
>
> What do you think ?

I think this is a good start Virginie so thanks for this!

I just created a new wiki doc that can be used to gather some related
input <https://www.w3.org/wiki/EventsProcess> as well as tracker product
to for related Actions, Issues, etc.
<https://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/products/7>.

I encourage everyone to please use public-w3process for all followups.

-Cheers, AB