Re: Comments on 23 September Editor's Draft of Chapter 7

Hi Ian,

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 03:11:23 +0200, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Today I had the pleasure of reviewing:
>
>   Recommendation Track Process, draft proposal
>   Editors' Draft 23 September 2013
>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/AB/raw-file/default/tr.html
>
> I have a few comments, divided into non-editorial and editorial.

Thanks...

> ==================
> Non-Editorial
>
>  * 7.4.1.a and 7.4.1.b: "Publishing the First Public Working Draft
>    triggers a patent disclosure request,"
>
>    Please change this to "Publishing the First Public Working Draft
>    triggers a Call for Exclusions" and refer to section 4 of the
>    policy.

Will do...

>    Here's an example of one:
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Sep/0028
>
>  * 7.5: "A document published as a Working Group Note does not imply
>    any licensing requirements, unless work is resumed and it is
>    subsequently published as a W3C Recommendation. " This comes
>    close to sounding like an IPR rule. Please delete.

I'd rather keep it there, and clarify that it is the case because of the
Patent Policy, not something in the Process Document.

>  * 7.6.1
>
>    a) "An errata page MAY include both proposed and normative
>    corrections. The Working Group MUST clearly identify which
>    corrections are proposed and which are normative." I think this is
>    a bug. The corrections only become normative once included in the
>    specification. I suggest deleting the sentences.

Agreed.

>    b) Please delete all the text related to "Call for Review of
>    Proposed Corrections." This bit of process has never been used
>    and the odds that it will be are very low.

Yeah, I agree.

(The last two bits come from reinstating the current document text. I'd
meant to suggest something along similar lines, so thanks for teasing it
out for me :) ).

> Editorial

I'll look at these later...

Thanks for the feedback. I may work on the document on the weekend, but
otherwise probably not until Tuesday. I expect to have a revised draft
sometime next week. Please watch for changes (obviously, if there is
follow-up discussion here I'll take that into account too).

cheers

Chaals