Re: w3process-ISSUE-54: Change Recommendation to Standard

Hi Doug

I think the word 'standard' has overtones of something that is endorsed or mandated, e.g. ITU standards for telecoms, and is produced by a formal standards body.  I am not sure we want the overtones.

I think we produce specifications, and that's a good word.

As I say, 'recommendation' is a poor word;  when we say something is 'recommended' *within* a spec., it's a 'should' statement. Even in normal english terms, what exactly are we 'recommending' and to whom in our specs?

People who do formal standards might be concerned, though the IETF uses the term and it's accepted there.  I don't think it would raise too much opposition.

But, people say, casually, "go read the CSS specification", "it's in the HTML spec", and we may as well embrace that and use the name.