Seeking feedback from AB nominees on a few items

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 17:02:41 -0400
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Michael Champion <mcham@microsoft.com>, Don Deutsch <donald.deutsch@oracle.com>, Yosuke Funahashi <yfuna@tomo-digi.co.jp>, GALINDO Virginie <Virginie.GALINDO@gemalto.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Ora Lassila <Ora.Lassila@nokia.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Soohong Park <soohong.park@samsung.com>, Roberto Scano <r.scano@webprofession.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>
CC: public-w3process <public-w3process@w3.org>
Hello AB Nominees,

I am interested in your comments on two items ...

1. One of the things that is somewhat unique about AB members is they
are expected to "use their best judgment to find the best solutions for
the Web, not just for any particular network, technology, vendor, or
user" [1]. Since this implies AB members represent "everyone" including
non W3C Members, it seems somewhere between ignorant/remiss to at least
a tad bit hubristic, for the AB to continue to conduct its process
related discussions in a non-Public forum. To address this issue, I propose:

* All AB discussions related to W3C processes (e.g. the W3C Process
Document) are to be conducted in a Public forum (e.g. public-w3process
list).

2. A few years ago [2] and again this week [3], some members of the
Advisory Committee discussed a proposal to change the AB to be
"self-selecting" i.e. to eliminate the voting. Unfortunately, those
threads are Member-confidential so if you can't read them, I can at
least highlight my comments on those threads (if you'd like me to do so).

I would appreciate if the AB nominees would please share their thoughts
on these two items.

-Thanks, ArtB

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2002/ab/>
[2] <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2009AprJun/0146.html>