w3process-ISSUE-79: Don't require republication after 6 months of no publication

From: Revising W3C Process Community Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 04:59:00 +0000
To: public-w3process@w3.org
w3process-ISSUE-79: Don't require republication after 6 months of no publication

http://www.w3.org/community/w3process/track/issues/79

Raised by: Ian Jacobs
On product:

Comment on 6 Dec 2013 chapter 7:

"If 6 months elapse without significant changes to a specification a
 Working Group should publish a revised Working Draft, whose status
 section should indicate reasons for the lack of change."

 If groups are finding it not worth their time to publish, asking
 them to publish may not have the desired effect. I propose instead
 that the WG SHOULD send a status update to the webmaster and request
 that the Webmaster update the most recent draft IN PLACE with the status
 update.

Charles commented that "if publsihing is painful we should fix that."

If the group should be publishing but they consider it painful, yes we should fix that.

But if the group has some reason for NOT publishing, it makes no sense to require them to publish. Clearly just adding 2 sentences of status update will be useful and sufficient.