RE: w3process-ISSUE-38 (documenting implementation): Add a should requirement to document known implementation [Document life cycle (ch 7)]

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:17:03 -0700
To: Revising W3C Process Community Group <public-w3process@w3.org>
CC: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
It is quite difficult to document "known implementations" well enough to be useful, and the "documentation" in terms of email or a document listing implementations is out of date almost as soon as it is finished.

In particular, just a list of implementations doesn't give you important information on implementation status of each feature.

http://larry.masinter.net/draft-ietf-newtrk-interop-reports-00.html

Formalizing IETF Interoperability Reports

was an attempt to separate out the responsibility on reporting implementations and interoperability. I think some kind of tracker/database/wiki  might be the best way of supporting such kind of activity, though ...  the working group develops a list of (testable) features, and implementors check of which features have been implemented and tested against test cases (for content standards) or other implementations (for protocol standards).

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net