Re: Patent Policy issues...

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 17:30:03 +0100, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

>> On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 13:02:12 +0100, Arthur Barstow

>>> So among the problems I see are:
>>
>>> PAGs suck (time, resources, joy from the WG, etc.);
> My preferred solution may not be realistic, but I'll throw it in.

I think it is a realistic activity to pursue. I think it may improve the
situation sometimes, and will allow some companies to sit on a comfortable
moral high ground.

I don't think it is a solution to the problem, but since it doesn't seem
to conflict with any likely solution, and does seem likely to ameliorate
the situation, I think it is a great thing for you to try, Jeff. ;)

cheers

> Everyone endorses the theme that the core of the Web should be a RF
> zone.  Especially if it applies to someone else's patents.  If it's 'my'
> own patents - then sometimes I'm not so sure.
>
> I think we could write a set of principles that characterize the theme
> "core of the Web should be RF".  This would not be part of our formal
> process, patent policy, or member agreement (because then too many
> Corporate legal departments would object).  Then we should get a set of
> senior CTOs in the industry who agree (as a group) to work together with
> the entire Membership in respecting this theme.  I believe that such a
> moral support for RF would reduce the need for PAGs.
>

>> cheers

         je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk