Re: "Living Standards"

On Monday, February 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> 3. People don't read specs and use them properly. I am not sure what makes
> them do so, but I suspect it isn't really a process issue - people have
> *always* skimmed and missed important stuff, and as far as I can tell they
> always will.

In my experience, having tests associated with a part of the spec helps a lot addressing 3. Implementers and their hordes of QA-nerds (including myself as one) love running tests to see what passes or fails an then looking at why (and then bugging engineers to fix stuff!).

Also regarding "People don't read specs and use them properly", it reminded me a lot of (worth a read, or re-read, if you read it before :) ):

http://web.archive.org/web/20110501062035/http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/08/16/specs