Re: Document licenses...

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich wrote:

> Hi Chaals,
> Can you elaborate?
>
> I thought that basically citing a spec is perfectly admissible by the current license as long as it is a proper citation.
> This seems to validated by [1], where is says a link or URL plus the copyright notice must be provided along with the text that is being used.
>
> I am not sure what value the full inclusion of the spec has, when a reference is generally enough and also avoids document management issues.
Kai is probably right.

Here is a personal use case:
https://raw.github.com/marcoscaceres/ECMAScriptInJS/master/WebIDL.js

Which has:
"
*This program reproduces parts of the WebIDL Specification (Candidate Recommendation):
*http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/
 *Which is copyright © 2012 World Wide Web Consortium, (Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
*European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University).
*All Rights Reserved. http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231

"

I'm copy/pasting the whole spec, and I'm coding around it.

To the Copyright FAQ [2], I think it would be great if there was a "I'm a Developer, can I copy parts of the specification and redistribute the work?" kind of clarification to handle what I am doing in the above.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-documents-20021231
[2] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620
--
Marcos Caceres