Re: Patent Protections at CR

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 11:09:44 -0800
To: "Robin Berjon" <robin@berjon.com>, "Carr, Wayne" <wayne.carr@intel.com>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-w3process@w3.org" <public-w3process@w3.org>
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:28:38 -0800, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:11:08 +0100, Carr, Wayne <wayne.carr@intel.com>
> wrote:
>> Is this a real problem that needs to be fixed?  Are people being sued
>> for implementing CRs by members of WGs producing the CR?
>
> They can be.

They are not as far ass I know. But there is a great deal of concern about
implementing something that may be exposing the implementor to this risk.
Meanwhile, we actually need those implementations to get to
Recommendation. So we're in a catch-22 at the moment because we cause
undesirable pain in making people think about the issues.

cheers

chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk