Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:14:21 +0200
To: public-w3c-digest <public-w3c-digest@w3.org>

This is the 12-19 October 2012 edition of a "Weekly digest of W3C news and
trends" that the W3C Communications Team prepares for the W3C Membership
and public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived [1]) and sends
separately. This digest aggregates information about W3C from online
media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended as viewed from
online media.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3c-digest/

Notable activity last week includes:

  - 1200 stories about W3C on Twitter, 2600 mentions of W3C.
  - net increase of 545 Twitter followers.
  - slightly more Twitter followers despite 3 times less mentions.
  - 26 posts that dlvr.it posted to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between
Oct 9-16 got 31.6K clicks, delivered to 54.6K connections.

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URIs or tweet was

* (147) W3C Blog: WCAG 2.0 is now also ISO/IEC 40500!

* (174) AdAge DigitalNext: “The Real Impact of Do Not Track”

* (52) W3C Blog: Celebrating World Standards Day

* (25) Tweet: “Beginnings of a mobile-webapp-development “Use Cases and
Requirements” doc from W3C Core Mobile Community Group

* (1211) nytimes Technology: “Do Not Track? Advertisers Say ‘Don’t Tread
on Us’”

* (61) W3C Meetup at TPAC 2012

* Pick of editor: Geeklatte photos, a creative everyday photo project

Previous attempts for HTML5 geeklatte:
HTML5 “failed”:
HTML5 “it’s too difficult”:
HTML5 “how many times did I try this?”:
Also, SVG:

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

  * DNT (6 articles)

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords on our Press clippings page:
http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    IEC and ISO approve W3C web content accessibility guidelines 2.0 as
international standard
    Global Accessibility News (18 October)

    What's left for HTML5?
    SD Times (18 October)

    The Real Impact of Do Not Track
    Advertising Age digital (17 October)

    Responsive image proposals gather pace
    .net magazine (16 October)

    Create More Accessible Color Schemes With ‘Contrast Ratio’
    Webmonkey | Wired.com (16 October)

    Do Not Track? Advertisers Say ‘Don’t Tread on Us’
    The New York Times | Technology (13 October)

    Do Not Track : Neelie Kroes perd patience. Et ? (Do Not Track: Neelie
Kroes loses patience. And?)
    ZDNet.fr (12 October)

    European Commissioner concerned about "Do Not Track" standard
    The H Open (12 October)

    Do Not Track: an uncertain future for the web's most ambitious privacy
    The Verge (12 October)

    Neelie Kroes Warns On Do Not Track Watering Down
    TechWeekEurope (11 October)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/