Weekly digest of W3C news and trends

From: Coralie Mercier <coralie@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:02:31 +0200
To: public-w3c-digest <public-w3c-digest@w3.org>

This is the first edition of a "Weekly digest of W3C news and trends"
prepared by the W3C Communications Team for the W3C Membership and
public-w3c-digest mailing list (publicly archived

The "Weekly digest of W3C news and trends" aggregates information about
W3C from online media, a snapshot of how W3C and its work is apprehended

The public-w3c-digest list is read only. We welcome your feedback. If you
wish to send a message to the W3C Communications Team, please write to

This edition spans 21-28 September 2012.

Notable activity last week includes:
  - more than 25 press articles about the proposed HTML5 spec Plan for 2014,
  - a gross increase of 450+ Twitter followers,
  - 23 posts to StatusNet, Twitter and Facebook between Sep 17 and Sep 24
(35K clicks, delivered to 53K connections).

Below is the compilation of what I harvested monitoring the
(micro)blogosphere and press.

W3C-related Twitter buzz
[Things that were tweeted frequently, things that caught my attention, etc.
  Most *recent* first (popularity is flagged with the figure between
parenthesis —that is the number of times the same URI or tweet was

* (35) REC: R2RML: RDB to RDF Mapping Language

* Do-Not-Track in the news, a week before a W3C's tracking protection
group meeting:

(29) FTC Defends W3C's Do-Not-Track Initiative To Congress

(25) ‘Do Not Track’ Dysfunction: Industry, Privacy Advocates Appeal to FTC

* (10) DRAFT Workshop homepage: eBooks: Great Expectations - A W3C
Workshop on Electronic Books and Open Web Platform - 15-16 February 2013

* Pointer Events W3C submission from Microsoft:

(138) Pointer Events Specification

(40) IE Blog: Towards Interoperable Pointer Events: Evolving Input Events
for Multiple Devices

(26) Art Barstow’s tweet: “One Touch model for the Web? @Microsoft submits
Pointer Events spec for standardization @W3C http://t.co/274DOawe
@adrianba @jacobrossi”

(24) Dominique Hazaël-Massieux’ tweet: “Microsoft submitted their richer
alternative approach to touch events to @W3C http://t.co/1VhRljL7 ; likely
candidate for Rec-track work!”

* (16) WebEd wiki: HTML/Elements

* (253) Proposed HTML spec Plan 2014

W3C in the Press (or some blogs)

  * HTML WG Plan 2014 (26 articles in addition to last weeks’ 13, including
in Dutch, French, Russian, German, Chinese, Spanish, Italian)
  * "Pointer Events" submission
  * Do Not Track

[Most recent first.
  title, source (date), link.
  Find keywords on our Press clippings page:
http://www.w3.org/Press/Articles ]

    Building Connected TV Apps
    BBC Internet Blog (28 September)

    FTC Defends W3C's Do-Not-Track Initiative To Congress
    Online Media Daily (27 September)

    Transforming Relational Data to RDF – R2RML Becomes Official W3C
    semanticweb.com (27 September)

    Towards Interoperable Pointer Events: Evolving Input Events for
Multiple Devices
    IEBlog (24 September)

    The W3C has accepted and published Microsoft's "Pointer Events"
    The Next Web (24 September)

    W3C Announce HTML5 2014 Delivery Plan
    SitePoint (24 September)

    W3C Announces Plan To Deliver HTML 5 by 2014
    Slashdot (21 September)

    W3C reveals plan to finish HTML5 and HTML 5.1
    The Register (21 September)

    Why Do Not Track is worse than a miserable failure
    ZDNet (21 September)

   Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
      W3C/ERCIM - B219 - 2004, rte des lucioles - 06410 Biot - FR
mailto:coralie@w3.org +33492387590 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/