Re: Improvement of www.schema.org/menu

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Wes Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 16, 2017, Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry to be pedantic ;-) , but in fact, the SI base unit for mass is the
>> kilogram.
>> See
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units#Base_units
>> and http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP330/sp330.pdf (section 2.1.1.2) and
>> http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/si-brochure/kilogram.html
>>
>> The gram is the base unit for mass in the old CGS system - but not in the
>> modern SI system.
>>

> Good catch. I guess that makes standarization on unit specifiers all the
> more important.
>

>> QUDT will be more useful and more complete when version 2.0 is finally
>> released - and has very useful machine-readable triples for expressing the
>> dimension of each unit (is it a mass, a length, etc.) and conversion
>> factors and offsets between units that belong to the same physical
>> dimension (e.g. to convert between various units of mass or between various
>> units of length).
>>
>> In GS1 and the GS1 web vocabulary, for the value of
>> http://gs1.org/voc/unitCode we use a string value indicating a
>> Measurement Unit from UN/ECE Recommendation 20 code tables, e.g. GRM for
>> gram, KGM for Kilogram, MGM for milligram and MC for microgram.  A 2005
>> edition of the code tables is available at http://www.unece.org/filead
>> min/DAM/cefact/recommendations/rec20/rec20_rev3_Annex3e.pdf
>>

> .unit=(unitStr/URI, unit system)
>

>> Personally, I'd much prefer the QUDT approach but industry does currently
>> use the UN/ECE Rec 20 code tables for expressing units of measure, even if
>> some of these UN ECE code strings are completely opaque and non-intuitive,
>> e.g. 28 = kilogram per square metre.
>>

> - Are there mappings from the UN/ECE codes to labels and URIs?
> - Are there mappings from the UN/ECE system to QUDT?

As far as I am aware, the UN/ECE codes are only published in spreadsheets
or PDF documents.
I've never seen any RDF datasets from UN/ECE that map from UN/ECE codes to
anything useful such as labels, conversion factors and offsets or QUDT URIs.

Good Relations do have this useful table on their site:
http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/
UN/CEFACT_Common_Codes
but it appears to be just an HTML table without any inline markup and
appears to be for the most frequently used units - only a subset of the
entire UN/ECE Rec 20 common code table.

The v1.1 QUDT units resource at http://qudt.org/vocab/unit# appears to be
offline and I can't find a complete corresponding v2.0 QUDT resource for
the units - it looks like they have published their schema so far [ see
http://www.qudt.org/release2/qudt-catalog.html and
http://qudt.org/doc/2016/DOC_SCHEMA-QUDT-v2.0.html ], and some datasets for
some units - but certainly not for all units - nor did they release the
dataset for SI units first.  Various units datasets are still in progress
or in quality control, according to
http://www.qudt.org/release2/qudt-catalog.html .

One example of a QUDT 2.0 units resource is http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/
KG-PER-MOL
Looking at that, I don't see a triple that links that resource to even the
string UN/ECE Rec 20 code string, which is D74 in the case of kilogram per
mole.

I think QUDT 2.0 will be a very useful resource for everyone when it is
complete and online.
Not sure whether they're under-resourced and could appreciate some help to
complete and test the units dataset.

What could be a very useful extension of QUDT 2.0 is if they can provide a
mapping to/from the UN/ECE Rec 20 common code string in both directions so
that we could have triples such as

http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/KG-PER-MOL   owl:sameAs
http://qudt.org/vocab/unece/D74 .

appearing within the triples for each resource within the
http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/ namespace

and also a dataset at a new namespace, for example:
http://qudt.org/vocab/unece/

providing triples such as

http://qudt.org/vocab/unece/B15  owl:sameAs  http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/J-
PER-MOL .
http://qudt.org/vocab/unece/D74  owl:sameAs  http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/
KG-PER-MOL .

When QUDT 2.0 is complete and online, it could then be appropriate for
schema.org, GoodRelations, the GS1 web vocabulary to introduce a new
dedicated property schema:qudtUnit  etc. that expects a URI from within the
http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/ <http://qudt.org/vocab/unit/J-PER-MOL>
 namespace.

I've copied Ralph Hodgson on this e-mail thread, since he is one of the
original developers or QUDT and is still on their board of directors.  He
and I exchanged a couple of emails along these lines around 18 months ago.
Now that there are some examples of what QUDT 2.0 units resources look
like, some of us might be able to help QUDT fill in some of the gaps.