Re: Semantic Markup at (IT) companies - living examples

On 9/10/15 3:37 AM, Bo Ferri wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> also thanks a lot for the "heads up" from your side ;)
>
> I was also looking at your website ;). You did the "trick", e.g., by
> introducing your own ontology to assign "vendors#hasVendor" or
> "products#hasFamily". This is not bad at all in general, because
> custom Semantic Markup is better then no Semantic Markup.
> Nevertheless, this is not really the "schema.org way" at this moment
> and I'm not sure how Goog et al. will interprete (and display) this
> information at their search.

Answer:

To be agile we make our own vocabularies. Whenever a shared variant
emerges we simply map our terms accordingly. All of this happens at the
vocabulary level while inference and reasoning handles content
re-publication :) We don't want to publish structured data that isn't
understood by the major search engines, so we stay vigilant while having
fun with the mappings and publications cycles.

> So what I would like to do is having a start/landing page that briefly
> describes the company itself (by utilising appropriated Semantic
> Markup) + building a knowledge graph by shortly mention their services
> etc. + linking to the detail pages of those services (that include
> more detailed descriptions about single services). Coming back to the
> website of your company: when I parse your home/landing page with
> Goog's Structured Data Testing Tool, then I can find a description of
> your company (incl. "relatedLink"s). However no links to offers of
> this organization/corporation in the "schema.org way", i.e.
> "Corporation -> Offer -> Product", nor a "schema.org entity" (not
> schemaorg:WebPage, but schemaorg:Product) description of the service
> itself at the detail page (you also refer to entity description (in
> somehow human and machine readable way) outside of your real website).

Then there's something wrong. That flow should be there, using
schema.org terms. I'll take another look because that's a basic
navigation structure that should be in place from our homepage doc [1].

> To conclude: yes, your company has a knowledge graph that describes
> somehow your company incl. their (real) products and (broad) services.
> Nevertheless, this is not always that "schema.org compatible", i.e.,
> I'm not sure how the famous search engine vendors will interpret this
> information.

See my comments above re. search engines :)

> tl;tr: I'm still looking for a living example of the "schema.org way"
> for, e.g., Corporation -> Offer -> Product (Service) -> Technology ;)

We should have that, in a variety of document content formats [2].
Basically:

1. Company Information
2. Offers
3. Products included in Offers -- in our case we are offering licenses
4. Technology -- in our case, this is the technology licensed
5. And much more...

Links:

[1] http://www.openlinksw.com -- OpenLink Home Page
[2] http://www.openlinksw.com/c/97P7NDD