Re: URIs / Ontology for Physical Units and Quantities

To followup with OT, I would then want to use CSVW (then possibly W3C Data
Cubes) with said unit codes and datatypes for each column.

CSVW is a bit further along now:

CSV <https://wrdrd.com/docs/consulting/knowledge-engineering#csv>

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Wes Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> drafting a web vocabulary [ see
>>> http://www.gs1.org/gtin_plus_public_review ] to help manufacturers and
>>> retailers express such information in much richer detail than they can
>>> currently using schema.org alone - and efforts are underway to
>>> harmonise this effort with schema.org to make life easier for
>>> developers.  I expect that a stable supported ontology with URIs and Linked
>>> Data for units of measure along the lines of a QUDT 2.0 could be far more
>>> useful to software developers than simply denoting a unit of measure by its
>>> UN ECE Common Code string.  We can certainly do better than that.  It could
>>> almost certainly avoid a large amount of duplicated effort in coding
>>> conversion factors and offsets and would also help to ensure that whether
>>> the product specifications are provided in SI units or non-SI units (as
>>> they are in different regions of the world), the same quantitative
>>> information is readily available so software applications, without
>>> ambiguity or unnecessary duplication of effort by developers.
>>>
>>> I hope that Ralph Hodgson can chime in with a brief status update on
>>> QUDT 2.0 - and also that those of us who would be interested in helping to
>>> accelerate this (or something similar) can step forward and offer to help
>>> with reviewing it or beta testing it - or filling in the gaps for the
>>> missing features.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> - Mark Harrison
>>>

>>> On 7 May 2015, at 09:08, martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Kingsley:
>>> Technically, as we agree, this is no big deal.
>>>
>>> But there are so many abandoned RDF / Semantic Web efforts rottening on
>>> the Web and wasting the time of developers who try to built something on
>>> top of it -- until they find out that the project is way out of date --
>>> that I do not see any gain in such a quick fix.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>>> On 07 May 2015, at 01:25, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 5/6/15 6:31 PM, martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is not the one time generation. The problems are as follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Copyright - Are you allowed to republish the code set as RDF?
>>> 2. Sustainability - Are you commited to keep the URIs dereferencable, or
>>> will some domain grabber take the domain name once the creator has
>>> completed his/her PhD and lost interest.
>>> 3. Updates - Will you keep the RDF version in sync whenever the standard
>>> changes?
>>>
>>> Unless there is a clear "yes" to all three questions, it is better to
>>> use the official codes than derived URIs.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>>> Martin,
>>>
>>> What's wrong with:
>>>
>>> <#someResolvableVariantOfIdentifier>
>>> a owl:Thing ;
>>> dcterms:identifier "{literal-variant-of-standard-identifier}" .
>>>
>>> Which can be further embellished by Linked Data publisher in their
>>> ontology/vocabulary by adding the following:

>>> 2. Save as CSV
>>> 3. Load into LOD or Google Refine
>>> 4. Map to relevant ontology (existing, or new)
>>> 5. Dump data into an RDF document
> [...]
>>>
>>> Martin Hepp

>>> martin hepp
>>> e-business & web science research group
>>> universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen
>>>
>>> e-mail:  martin.hepp@unibw.de
>>> phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
>>> fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
>>> www:     http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
>>>        http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
>>> skype:   mfhepp
>>> twitter: mfhepp
>>>
>>> Check out GoodRelations for E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!
>>> =================================================================
>>> * Project Main Page: http://purl.org/goodrelations/
>>>

>>> On 06 May 2015, at 20:34, Wes Turner <wes.turner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> I notice that with QUDT there are SI conversion factors and complete
>>> URIs for each unit.
>>>
>>> Is there a schema for validation of "schema:QuantativeValues supports
>>> all UN/CEFACT Common Codes"?
>>>
>>> (A similar quandry as with MedicalCode; where URI namespaces (like
>>> icd10:) would be more helpful for terminological validation and
>>> disambiguation than plain string keys)
>>>
>>> On May 6, 2015 4:26 AM, "martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org" <
>>> martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Wes,
>>> sorry for a very late reply:
>>>
>>> Actually you could easily use schema:QuantitativeValue for both time and
>>> volume, with SEC as the unit code for t and LTR as the unit code for
>>> liters, and link both via schema:valueReference, or better, and
>>> owl:subProperty thereof.
>>>
>>> For the principle, see
>>>

>>> http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/Structured_values_and_value_references
>>>

>>> schema:QuantativeValues supports all UN/CEFACT Common Codes for units,
>>> which should cover all you need:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/UN/CEFACT_Common_Codes
>>>
>>> (Mind the full list in the public Excel files, the page just highlights
>>> a small subset.)
>>>
>>> Best wishes / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>>>
>>> Martin Hepp

>>> martin hepp
>>> e-business & web science research group
>>> universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen
>>>
>>> e-mail:  martin.hepp@unibw.de
>>> phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
>>> fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
>>> www:     http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
>>>        http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
>>> skype:   mfhepp
>>> twitter: mfhepp
>>>
>>> Check out GoodRelations for E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!
>>> =================================================================
>>> * Project Main Page: http://purl.org/goodrelations/
>>>

>>> On 01 May 2015, at 13:45, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Wes,
>>>
>>> On 01/26/2014 07:20 AM, Wes Turner wrote:
>>>
>>> Say I am trying to share a tabular dataset. [1] There's metadata for
>>> the Dataset, and there's metadata for the particular columns (which

>>> 2  0.7
>>> 3  0.5
>>> 4  0.3