Re: Schema.org extensions versus core

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Tom Marsh <tmarsh@exchange.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  In general, I really like the attempt to quantify usage as a way to
> qualify something for the core. I’m not sure the two metrics (# of
> websites, # of weekly users on consuming apps) are optimal for this, though.
>

> For # of weekly users, I think Martin’s option of “total number of human
> visitors to the web sites that implement the conceptual elements” is a
> better measure. I would expect this to include search engines showing
> results for the conceptual elements and would tweak it from “visitors to
> the web sites…” to “visitors to the web pages…”, but otherwise, I think
> this is a great measure. It is basically a web-wide popularity measure,
> independent of whether a given consumer has yet paid attention to the
> domain.

Let me respectfully disagree. The amount of traffic the publisher of the
data has on their own site is not very relevant. If there are a lot of
people looking for that structured data amongst the people who are
consuming it --- search engines and the like --- then it is important.

>  Wes, do you think the above would give you a way to measure the usage of
> schema:Course?
>

> For websites, what about cases where there are a few very high-volume
> sites. For example, if there were no eCommerce vocabulary already in the
> core, wouldn’t the existence of Amazon, eBay, and Walmart by themselves be
> sufficient to justify having one? If so, perhaps we can simply eliminate
> this criterion in favor of the (proposed adapted) # of weekly users
> criterion?

I would like for us to focus the core on vocabularies that will be used by
a lot of sites. Not just a few.

> The compactness constraint is a tough one. As worded, I think it may
> encourage people to “trickle in” their changes. I.e., it doesn’t prevent me
> from adding 5 terms per release for 10 releases. It would be nice to say
> something about how large a given “domain” (products, autos, medical, etc.)
> should be allowed to get instead, but then you need to define what a domain
> is and how to tell which terms are within it. Anyone have a good way to do
> this?

Yes, we have. We have not let that happen.