Re: Proposal for Schema.org extension mechanism

On 2/16/15 4:48 PM, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 02/15/2015 08:48 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> >On 2/15/15 12:19 PM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> >Schema.org addresses the needs of a community that wasn't optimally
>> >served by the generic Semantic Web meme. A lot of that (as already
>> >stated) has all to do with the incentives that arise naturally from the
>> >visible support of Google, Yandex, Yahoo!, and Microsoft (via Bing!).
>> >That's massive, and its negates the prescriptive specification problem
>> >that's dogged RDF from the onset. Ironically, if RDF was correctly
>> >pitched as a formalization of what was already in use, we would have
>> >reduced 17 years to something like 5, no kidding!
>> >
>> >For instance, Imagine if <link/> and "Link:" had been incorporated into
>> >the RDF narrative as existing notations for representing entity
>> >relations? Basically, Web Masters, HTML+Javascript developers, and the
>> >Microformats (now IndieWeb folks) would have be far less confused and
>> >resistant to the RDF -- especially as would have prevented the massive
>> >RDF/XML blob of confusion that ultimately obscured everything.
> You may find this discussion relevant:
> https://github.com/mnot/I-D/issues/39

It even has a Linked Open Data URI:
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/id/entity/https/github.com/mnot/I-D/issues/39
.

Aside from the issues identified by the HTTP URI above, there's a
fundamental need to actually acknowledge the fact that <link/> and
"Link:" are notations (HTML and HTTP respectively) for representing
entity relationship types (relations). And by implication a notation for
representing subject->predicate->object statements --  which actually
demonstrates that RDF is a retrospective standardization of what was
already in use on the Web, as any standard should be.

Prescribing standards with speculative use-cases isn't the way to
address standardization. Thus, far it has failed 100% of the time.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO