Re: How To Distinguish between a Photo and Other "Art" Images

On 2015-02-03 01:14, Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> I have posted this to both Stack Over flow and Expert's Exchange but
> get no answer:
>
> Like many sites, we deliver a lot of imagery on our web site.
>
>  Use case: set up labels/refinements in Google Custom Search that
> aggregate and filter two different classes of image objects. Using
> Schema.org Microdata markup is very easy and works great, but we want
> the user to select either
>
>  1) PHOTOS: a "photo" is taken by with an instrument -- some kind of
> camera/lens "machine" that comprises something from "real life"
>
>  OR
>
>  2) ART: all other images that are creative works by an
> illustrator/artist: our CMS/Dbase stores these and their metadata
> under three categories, scanned paintings-water colors, scanned
> drawings (or pencil drawings even done in a computer) and vector art.
>
>  so we have four classes, which I want to group in two groups
>
>  photography
>  | (group together in searches) |
>
>  drawings, paintings, vector
>
>  I can easily determine which is which as our web CMS gets metadata
> from the database, and drives the content through the pipe and fork
> dynamic insertion of metadata. Something like
>
>  for art: <section class="page-content" role="main" itemprop="image"
> itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" [1]> <meta
> itemprop="image" content="Red Roses" />
>
>  and toggle to this if it were a photo
>
>  "itemprop="photo" content="Daffodils" # photo
>
>  This feels wrong from a hierarchy point of view.
>
>  I would expect to have some property like "imageType" that I could
> then apply like this
>
>  itemprop="imageType" content="photo"
>  itemprop="imageType" content="art"
>
>  But I don't see anything that meets this requirement in Schema.org
> (my eyes are bleeding from reviewing the hierarchy and still can't
> find what I need). There is nothing to designate "art" as such.
>
>  Any ideas?
>
>  My developer says we can use this for all non-photography images:
>
>  <section class="page-content" role="main" itemprop="image" itemscope
> itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject" [1]>
>
>  and for all photos:
>
>  <section class="page-content" role="main" itemprop="image" itemscope
> itemtype="http://schema.org/photo" [2]>
>
>  But this also seems out of standard because:
>
>  a) all the visuals that we offer, of all types I believe fall under
> "ImageObject"
>  b) But children below only include "photo" and not any other kind of
> visual "thing"
>  3) I could use itemtype="http://schema.org/CreativeWork" [3] for
> everything that is not a photo. Though in some semantic hierarchies a
> photo, though strictly speaking is "an image of the real world made
> with a lens/mechanical instrument), may still be classed as a sibling
> with "painting" under parent "ImageObject" or parent "CreativeWork."
>
>  While I realize there is some freedom in these decisions and Google
> [...]

Hi

I saw your question on Stackoverflow at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28271240/schema-org-microdata-markup-to-distinguish-between-photos-and-art
and it look's like user Unor has answered your question comprehensively.

As Unor mentioned in their answer, a new schema for VisualArtwork will
be released very soon (hopefully just a matter of days) that will enable
you to mark up photos with http://schema.org/Photograph and art with
http://schema.org/VisualArtwork.

Paul