Re: Domain of schema:numberOfEmployees?

On 28 April 2015 at 10:41, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
> On 2015-04-28 11:02, Jindřich Mynarz wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> why is the domain of <http://schema.org/numberOfEmployees> set to
>> schema:BusinessAudience? Shouldn't it be schema:Organization instead?

Thanks both. This is worth addressing. I've filed an issue:
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/456

There is a natural temptation to try to generalize this further, but
(as I've argued in the issue tracker) things get complex quickly.
Adding Organization as an appropriate type for numberOfEmployees is a
quick and simple improvement.

Incidentally it does also improve (very slightly) the possibility for
verifying certain kinds of information, or at least probing for
consistency. For example consider an Organization that has Ali, Bob
and Carla listed as 'employee'. If we also had numberOfEmployees: 3,
we would have some additional confidence that we have a complete
description of the organization's employees (at that time, at least),
whereas if we had been told numberOfEmployees: 2, we might instead
care to re-evaluate what exactly the data was telling us. Since
schema.org (and microdata/rdfa/json-ld) descriptions are always
partial accounts of a larger reality, having these simple count
properties can provide helpful checks.

Dan