Re: Schema for online dictionary and glossary?

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of situations where URNs really are the best choice of identifier for a thing (although, for the record, we should of course all treat URIs are opaque wherever it’s feasible to do so).

Dictionary words are a decidedly borderline case.

URNs might work for words used in a language, with no specific definition ascribed (e.g., urn:lex:en-gb:hello), or even the collection of ‘all words spoken by humans’ — which at least takes advantage of one of the nicer properties of URNs, that being that often nobody actually needs to define what the members of the set are, because they can be conjured through use.

However, as soon as you get into specific dictionaries or thesauri or even simple word-lists, then you have a arbitrary curatorial authority, and so there is pretty much zero benefit (and tangible downsides) to using a URN over an HTTP URI. The latter has the advantage of being dereferenceable with no hoop-jumping, but doesn’t have to be (so long as you don’t serve something *else* at those URIs, the sky doesn’t fall in), so it amounts to an optional future-proofing mechanism via a protocol everyone knows how to talk.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Chief Technical Architect - Archives & Digital Public Space,
Zone 2.12, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA.

Inside the BBC? My movements this week: http://neva.li/where-is-mo

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the