RE: Proposal: Create property "homepage" and add it to Person and Organization

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:04 PM, Jarno van Driel wrote:
> Personally I'm pretty happy using 'url' for this. Do you have any
> particular reason not to this property?

Yes. "url" is defined to be the "URL of the item" I don't wanna go down the httpRange-14 rathole but a person's homepage isn't it's URL.

> Maybe adding HomePage as a subClass of WebPage could help? (although
> the purpose of all of WebPage's variants still isn't clear yet, so
> maybe that should be discussed as well)

A specific web page may be a home page for something/someone but that doesn't make it inherently a home page. So I don't think we need a new type for this.

And to answer Dan's reply

On 20 Sep 2014 at 12:03, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 20 September 2014 10:54, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>> I'd like to propose to create a new property "homepage" with a domain of
>> Person and Organization and a range of WebPage. There might be other types
>> that could benefit from this property but let's keep it simple for the time
>> being.
>
> We've gone around variations of this one a few times, e.g. long
> threads on 'social account', blog, official page etc. There are a

I know, but let's try to keep it simple here. I think capturing someone's/something's homepage is way simpler and less controversial than modelling social accounts etc. We could of course generalize it and talk about a "website" instead of the "homepage" but that would make things more complex IMO (is it just that specific page or of which pages does that website consist?).

> number of overlapping and slippery concepts that people would like to
> capture better. But each time we add a new property it needs
> distinguishing from all those we already have, and you can make a case
> that 'url' and 'sameAs' are already substantially in this area
> already.

Well, I generally don't like "url" to be honest but that's a different topic. The main problem is that "url" doesn't have enough semantics in this case. It's used (inconsistently) for too many things already.

> The more recent WebSite type adds another option too.

See above. I'd be fine to use website instead but I think homepage is simpler and avoids a lot of difficult questions/discussions.

> Could a blog or facebook page or twitter account or youtube account be
> a "homepage"? Is being on someone's business card evidence enough?

Sure, why not?

> I'm not saying 'no', rather that discussions on this topic have a
> history of churning...

That's why I would like to keep it simple :-)

Cheers,
Markus

--
Markus Lanthaler