Re: Proposal: Create property "homepage" and add it to Person and Organization

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:03:38 +0100
To: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On 20 September 2014 10:54, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose to create a new property "homepage" with a domain of
> Person and Organization and a range of WebPage. There might be other types
> that could benefit from this property but let's keep it simple for the time
> being.

We've gone around variations of this one a few times, e.g. long
threads on 'social account', blog, official page etc. There are a
number of overlapping and slippery concepts that people would like to
capture better. But each time we add a new property it needs
distinguishing from all those we already have, and you can make a case
that 'url' and 'sameAs' are already substantially in this area
already. The more recent WebSite type adds another option too.

Could a blog or facebook page or twitter account or youtube account be
a "homepage"? Is being on someone's business card evidence enough?
I'm not saying 'no', rather that discussions on this topic have a
history of churning...

Dan