Re: The Vocabulary, Schema.org governance, etc.

On 09/19/2014 07:25 PM, Guha wrote:
> First, a heartfelt thanks for caring and being so passionate about this.
> I am really happy that we are having an open discussion about these
> matters. In that spirit, here are a few comments.
[...]
> We encourage the creation of many vocabularies. We would love for there
> to be other vocabularies that get lots of adoption and as these
> vocabularies get adoption, the search engines will use them.
I had conversation lately with Tantek Çelik on #microformats IRC. Mostly
about: http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#microformats

He pointed out that major search engines support microformats for quite
some time: http://microformats.org/wiki/search

I have few questions here:

1. Can search engines clearly list which vocabularies, other then
schema.org, their support (or which subsets of them)? IMO collaboration
with http://lov.okfn.org might come helpful.
2. Do you have strategy on when to just support external vocabulary and
when to integrate them into schema.org namespace? Example:
   http://blog.schema.org/2012/11/good-relations-and-schemaorg.html
3. If some independent vocabulary gains broad adoption. How would
process of adding support for it look? Especially if some Types overlap
and properties collide. Examples:
   * https://web-payments.org/specs/source/vocabs/commerce.html
   *
http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams2-vocabulary.html

I don't expect anyone having clear answers to any of those questions!

On a process side I would suggest moving conversations fine tuning
particular vocab terms to github issues, and just announce bigger
changes here with invite to related issue/pull request.
Besides keeping better track on them, this would lower volume of traffic
on this list and allow more space for interesting conversations about
environment of *WebSchemas*. Including schema.org, microformats,
activitystrea.ms and many others listed in lov.okfn.org

Cheers!