Re: schema.org Breadcrumb design on top of ItemList

On 19 September 2014 21:17, Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "(This would replace/obsolete the existing unused
>> http://schema.org/breadcrumb property)"
>

> If I understand you correct you mean this for example:

>   <ol typeof="BreadcrumbList">
>   </ol>

Yep

> But with keeping 'breadcrumb' as a property we would actually be able to
> chain the BreadcrumbList to the WebPage:

>   <ol property="breadcrumb" typeof="BreadcrumbList">
>   </ol>
>
> Or is this too much and is having both WebPage and BreadcrumbList being top
> level entities good enough?

Either way could work. In the little example list shown it begins with
the more general item, and ends with the more specific. But we didn't
spell that rule out explicitly anywhere yet. Aaron's question is also
relevant: should the current page be in the ItemList (at one end of it
or another). If we're to re-use 'breadcrumb' as you sketch it would
need to be at the top of the list, before the hierarchy begins. Many
pages do have a homepage url in the markup early on. But it's not
unusual to see it in the navigation too. Any thoughts on which is the
more common pattern? (I've not yet investigated...)

Dan