schema.org governance

From: Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:48:03 +1000
Cc: W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>

Dan, yes, some of us have been in this space for a long time....

I am not discounting the effort gone/going into schema.org, in fact, I think it has taken a leading and more important role as "the general web vocabulary".

My question then is, at what point does "oversight of the search engine companies" become an issue to the benefit of consensus-driven open vocabularies?
In particular, in the context of a W3C environment.

For example, Martin raised 3 excellent points [1], but I cannot see those issues been discussed/resolved at all in this Task Force.

Now, given that schema.org is owned by 4 companies, you can argue that "it's their business"...which is fine....but then the community will be weary of the "some accountability" [2] being offered.

I truly believe that a general web vocabulary is important for the future of the (semantic) web....I just believe that such an important semantic infrastructure of the web should be governed by an open transparent process (like a W3C process).

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity
http://semanticidentity.com