Re: Move schema:fileSize & schema:fileFormat to schema:CreativeWork

From: Dan Scott <dan@coffeecode.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:12:39 -0400
To: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Cc: public-vocabs@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 10:08:55AM -0700, Karen Coyle wrote:

>On 9/4/14, 8:36 AM, Dan Scott wrote:
>>>How can we express that there is a PDF and an ODT of the same document?
>>
>>... thanks to the workExample / exampleOfWork properties that were
>>recently added to schema.org, you can express those relationships. See
>>https://github.com/rvguha/schemaorg/pull/108 for a request to add
>>examples for those properties to schema.org (where we express that there
>>are both book editions and movie adaptations of a given novel).
>

>My gut feeling is that PDF/ODT is not the same as a book and a movie
>derived from the book. Would both be coded with workExample?

Hmm, my gut feels differently than your gut. I would say yes, they would
be coded with either or both of exampleOfWork and workExample.

exampleOfWork: "A creative work that this work is an
example/instance/realization/derivation of."

Let's add LaTeX to the mix. If you are in the business of running a
repository of open access scholarly articles, you might want to offer
LaTeX, HTML, and PDF versions of each article. Each format would exist
at a different URL*, and they are three different instances of the
same creative work, right?

* Well, okay, you could use content-negotiation to serve them up at the
same URL, but that seems unlikely to occur on the normal web.