Re: Person and fictional Re: VideoGame proposal

On 21 Oct 2014, at 13:49, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:

> So to determine whether some schema.org thing is real or not requires some web lookup?  Where?  How?  Will there be documentation?

No. I said that one way of solving the pending isssue is to assume that being fictitious is a specialization of being. Then, we have no problem with treating existing types in schema.org as including
a) currently existing,
b) previously existing, and
c) fictional entities,

and handle the information, if available, that something is indeed fictitious by using the intersection of the main type with the FictionalThing type.

We could have lengthy and imo useless discussions here on what "real" means. In the context of schema.org, we will want to be able to represent information about Pompeii, Atlantis, Frankfurt, and New York city without the need to agree on whether they are real or are not.

Some people claim that the German city "Bielefeld" does not exists [1] ;-)
Some people argue whether King Arthur, Pythagoras, John Henry, Homer, Robin Hood and others were real or fictional [2]; still, they can be perfectly represented by http://schema.org/Person.

I just repeat that schema.org representations are a kind of "proto-data" that typically requires some, often heuristic, pre-processing before the actual processing of the data can take place. And I trust that Google et al. will make sure that Atlantis will not show up as a travel suggestion in search results.

We cannot and should not try to put all subtleties of the world in a single schema, and even more so not in schema.org with a pretty clear mission and purpose.

Martin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld_Conspiracy
[2] http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-historical-figures-who-may-or-may-not-have-existed

Best wishes