Re: VideoGame proposal

On 15 October 2014 19:28, Aaron Bradley <aaranged@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused.  I agree with Thad "that 'part' and 'partOf' would be ideal
> for VideoGameSeries" - except for the fact that the example does not employ
> VideoGameSeries (unlike the query to which Thad points) and indeed
> VideoGameSeries "has been discarded because it's not enough informative."
>
> So before I comment further, Yuliya can you clarify that your example was
> not meant to include VideoGameSeries

It's 10.47pm in Moscow so I'll take the liberty of trying to reply for
Yuliya, or at least rephrasing my reading of her post -

"I've analyzed schema.org and few sites with VideoGames and find three
ways of representation series of video game: "

= "3 different options for addressing requests for representing video
games series:"

option 1.)
with new type VideoGameSeries (from Series),

option 2.)
with new property and

option 3.)  using existing property 'hasPart'.

Conclusions:

"The first (option 1.) has been discarded because  Series has many
properties quite inappropriate for video game. "

 = Series was added for generalizing TV Series when we added Radio
Series; but it doesn't apply to all kinds of series, and isn't a good
supertype for VideoGameSeries.

"Second one has been discarded because it's not enough  informative."

= adding a new property for this is hard to justify and doesn't add much value

This then leaves us with use of hasPart/isPartOf between VideoGame
instances. This is similar to the way we do things with other creative
works...

We should also add an example showing how to associate a VideoGame
with a http://schema.org/VideoObject using 'about', and address the
various little formatting issues Aaron just brought up as I was
posting this. But otherwise I think we're getting there. The options
above do leave out the possibility of putting in VideoGameSeries as a
type with a different supertype than Series, but that seems to be
storing up confusion for the future. Using isPartOf and hasPart covers
a lot of ground and gets something out there - we can always add more
terms later.

cheers,

Dan