Re: Why is the video property bound to creative work?

Jarno:
You are right with your observation that some schema.org-based functionality in major search engines depends on the notion of a "main" entity, and that several heuristics are in place to determine what the main entity is. So semantically equivalent markup will give very different results. However, I think this is a topic for the product forums of the respective search engines, e.g.

    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/webmasters/structured-data

Martin