Re: Finalizing Schema.org "Roles" design

From: Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 13:48:02 -0400
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: Jarno van Driel <jarnovandriel@gmail.com>, Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com>, W3C Web Schemas Task Force <public-vocabs@w3.org>
On May 9, 2014 4:46 AM, "martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org" <
martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Second: For conceptual modeling geeks and the group of On[t]oClean fans:
As far as I understand, the "roles" proposal in schema.org is mainly for

> - keeping meta-data about type membership for anti-rigid properties (~R)
in OntoClean terminology

That would be the school of thought I alluded to in my earlier message...
Since some of the founding members do not fully subscribe to the original
tenets, I didn't want to summon any demons. [If you're dealing with time,
you need Tennants, not tenets].

The name of the Role class seems to be confusing, and parts of the proposal
Eco or overlap with the generic property proposal.  There may be some
underlying unity that could simplify both.

Maybe embedding property definitions via the script mechanism, scoped to
the rest of the webpage,  could simplify the instance data (for the Bill
Murray as lead actor case, and possibly some  the generic properties)?
These properties could be defined in terms of Roles with some attributes
already specified.

The associating of periods of time with a property seems to be too narrowly
scoped; there might be many related statements that have related time
bounds; forcing each property to be re-roled builds character, but is a
little unsightly. If it were easy to wrap  (no-@) context around statements
in all formats this could make things simpler for some cases.

A separate issue has to do with relations that  intrinsically involve more
than two things (e.g. Chigwell _is closer to_ Grange Hill than it is to
Snaresbrook.)  This parallels the "Bill Murray played the character King
Lear in National Lampoon's Royal Family Vacation".

It might be possible for schema.org to specify such relations (and their
mapping to serializations) that makes them simpler to define and
understand; however because RDF only allows binary relations, the
serialized forms may end up looking the same.